Sunday, March 6, 2011

And the Season Has Begun

I suppose yesterday was my official end to winter - the very 1st seeds of the season have now been planted! We headed out to the greenhouse in the afternoon's grey drizzle to find (as feared) a pile of still-frozen bags of potting mix that my fall self was convinced would be melted by this point from the late winter sunshine. No such luck:

 Johnny was a trooper and - between the shovel, sledgehammer and hot water brought from home - managed to break it all up.

I mixed it with the compost (thankfully the bin of it in the greenhouse it had melted in last week's sunshine)...

...and we filled the trays. I'm trying out some new winstrip trays this year - they're sturdier & should last for many many years, instead of migrating to the landfill every few seasons.

On the seeding list were the perennial herbs, and round 1 of green onions.


Some very frozen fingers later, we had the herbs finished. Sadly, it seems that the structural soundness of the mesh on the greenhouse tables became compromised over the winter....
"Ugh" does not begin to capture my frustration. I'll have to wait for new herb seeds to arrive in the mail - we'd used them all up. Depending on how long it takes, this might mean no perennial herb seedlings from me at the Seedling Sale May 21st. Fortunately the green onions at least survived!

Score 1 for entropy 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you find your Winstrip trays? I have been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually ordered them through Shannon & Bryan of Broadfork Farm - they put in a bulk order & a bunch of us split them. Unfortunately, they've now moved out east & took the remaining trays with them! Sounds like bulk is the only way to get them - I can find out the company name though if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another request for winstrip tray source!!!!
    (different person)Thanks

    ReplyDelete