- SO MANY SPREADSHEETS - CSA share plans, greenhouse seeding plans, field planting plans, crop rotation plans....
- analysing fall soil tests
- researching soil health techniques & strategies
- calculating amounts for each soil and plant amendment
- ordering & sourcing amendments such as compost, micro-nutrients, and other foods for plants and microbes
Sales & Marketing
- strategizing revenue streams for the upcoming season
- developing CSA registration forms and managing registrations
- flyer design & delivery and other promotions
- responding to queries from members & potential members
- website overhauls, facebook posting etc
- selling any remaining storage crops...bit by bit...
- advertising, interviewing & hiring interns & staff
- coordinating volunteers
- budgeting, budgeting & re-budgeting
- taxes & bookkeeping clean-up from the previous season...ugh
- you might be shocked how much time it takes to track & deposit CSA payments from >200 members!!
- researching & purchasing new equipment & tools (BIG JOB!! It's shockingly hard to find appropriate equipment for a small-scale farm)
- maintenance and repair of existing tools & equipment
- ordering field supplies like row cover, bins, irrigation bits, seedling trays etc
- this year, 4 organic sector/eco-farming conferences, various workshops and a heap of books
- dreaming, scheming, strategizing, re-focusing, re-conceiving... all that great energizing stuff!
- takin' care of the ladies!
- managing the cooler so the storage veg don't freeze, dry out or overheat!
- keeping a 700' laneway cleared of snow!!
And, of course, a part-time job off farm & - thankfully - still lots of blessed, blessed rest.