Thursday, January 3, 2013

Valuing the Shares

Well, after worrying all season long about short-changing members due to difficult growing conditions, I finally sat down and calculated the exact value of produce members received. I'm surprised to discover that shares actually came in OVER value in the end!!

Small shareholders averaged $1 extra value/week
Regular shareholders averaged $3 extra/week

Turns out it pays to be a CSA member, even in a tough, droughty season. Maybe one of these years I'll learn to worry less...

Here are a few pics of our last CSA week of the season:





2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to another year in your CSA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems odd to me. I thought I threw my lot in with you, and that I might get a bountiful bumper crop i.e. bigger share if the weather was great, but I was *assuming* that I would get less on a bad weather year like last year. If I got extra financial value on a year like last year, then... well that seems like something is wrong, something else must have gotten short changed, like the vehicle budget, or mental health days, or farmers were underpaid. I want to be in a CSA because I want to be affected by the weather, and I want farmers income to have some insurance. That's part of why I acquire my food this way.

    ReplyDelete