Wednesday, February 2, 2011

OH WINTER VEGETABLES!!

I'm singing to myself in the kitchen...fying garlic & onions & cayennes, parboiling potatoes, pureeing spinach & tomato, defrosting eggplant, chopping carrots.....EVERYTHING from the farm!! I'm working at a north Indian feast for dinner tonight: baingan bharta (eggplant mash), sookha gaajar (fried carrots with lots of cumin seed), palak aloo paneer (spinach & potato - with a bit of paneer left from a previous Bailey's order, and probably a good heap of goat's yoghurt stirred in because I love it so much). On the side, chili pickle that Taa made with a variety of hot peppers from the farm. And maybe some of Karin's chutney too!

Cooking up so many different vegetables in February is making me rather blissfully happy - there is nothing in this that feels like sacrifice for eating locally. Nothing at all.

Here's a few pics of some of the dinner veg in their raw form, to inspire you for your own summer garden planning:

5 comments:

  1. How did you store your eggplant this long? I love the menu--sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see your veggies again, I can't wait until pick ups start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie - I roasted them in September, then scooped them out of their skins & froze them. They freeze really well that way! And are perfect for winter curries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like heaven to me :D
    Vegetables in the winter just make me happy too!
    Sometimes it feels like I'm the only teenager that feels this way.
    Go Angie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! Wondering though wistfully if you have any openings still for the CSA this year?? If we have already emailed you, when might we hear back?

    ReplyDelete